Franchise statistics UK - 2013 bfa franchise report
The annual NatWest/bfa franchise survey monitors the performance, attitudes and opinions of the UK franchise sector and thereby builds up a larger picture of the contribution of franchising to the British economy.
Now in its 29th year, the Natwest bfa Franchise Survey has become the benchmark view on the UK franchise industry and this year's edition continues to demonstrate the robustness of the sector and the business model. Here are a few key facts:
- Industry annual turnover: £13.7 billion
- Revenues have grown 20% since 2008 (overall UK economy has contracted 2.5% in the same timeframe)
- Number of franchisors: 930
- Number of franchisee outlets: 39,000
- Number of people employed in franchising: 561,000
- Full-time employment tops 250,000 for the first time ever
- Franchisees reporting profitability (including new businesses): 92%
The survey findings have generated exceptional media coverage for UK franchising, with articles already printed or expected in The Times, the Daily Mail and the Express, as well as across a huge spectrum of business media, regional press and financial titles - and of course throughout the franchise press.
The survey this year focused on the growth of franchising since 2008 and the onset of the financial crisis, highlighting perfectly the exceptional performance of the sector which has greatly outstripped the rest of the economy. With business confidence now on the up - 9 out of 10 franchisors expect 2014 to be a better year for them than 2013 - ethical UK franchising looks set to experience further rapid growth, to the benefit of all involved in it.